miércoles, 2 de noviembre de 2016

How to make Narutomaki

Hello everyone, I'm not a big fan of fish, I used to analyse fish at my previous job so I had enough fish, I didn't eat it but I had to smell it and work with it... so yeah not a big fan. The only time I'm happy to eat fish is when I eat ramen, one of the most iconic ingredients of ramen is a fish cake and it's called Narutomaki (that round think with a pink spiral in the middle). Unfortunately finding this ingredient can be challenging, so as I am a resourceful woman I thought... if I can't find it I'll make it!! And that's how it began hahaha, I made my first narutomaki with a traditional recipe, but I didn't like it, it wasn't like the industrial narutomaki... So I did some research and found more recipes I tested them and the one I liked the most is this one, I hope you like it


Ingredients
  • 200 g fresh white fish
  • 6 g salt
  • 6 g sugar
  • 6 g mirin
  • 1 egg white
Procedure
  • Remove the skin of the fish and any fat
  • Rinse the fish under cold water.
  • Squeeze the fish with your hands to get rid of any excess water.
  • In a food processor or something similar, put the fish, together with some salt, sugar, mirin and an egg white.
  • Process  everything together until an homogeneous paste is formed.
  • Divide the paste in two.
  • Use one of the halves and spread it over plastic wrap to create a 19 by 15 cm rectangle.
  • Then with some pinkish red food coloring, dye the other half of the paste (you can use some beet juice to create this color).
  • Put a second layer of pink paste over the first layer, leaving one centimetre at the bottom and at the top of the rectangle free.
  • Roll the fish cake, roll it carefully but tightly so you don't get air pockets.
  • Put the roll into a steamer and steam it for about 15 minutes.
  • Let it cool.
Here you have the video

1 comentario:

  1. Thank you! This is a good recipe! I couldn't find any at the store and you are the only one on Google i seen with this recipe. I used it in my homemade ramen. 😋

    ResponderEliminar